Frequently asked questions at Calcot & Spa
All you need to know
The latest Government announcement of 22nd February means we're hopeful with fingers crossed that we will be able to reopen the hotel from 17th May and our Spa from 12th April.
Following previous closures last year we put together the below in line with Government guidelines on social distancing etc...to keep both guests and team members safe- these will be obviously be subject to change once we reopen again.
- What if I book and then the restrictions change again or I need to cancel my stay at short notice?
We recognise that it’s very hard for anyone to make firm commitments for anything at the moment, so for the time being we have reduced our cancellation policy to a mere 24 hours with a commitment to be understanding in all scenarios connected to Covid 19.
- What new cleaning and safety routines has the Hotel & Spa introduced since Covid 19?
We’ve always had a rigorous cleaning and hygiene routine however our fabulous housekeeping teams have stepped it up a notch and during your stay you’ll see continuous cleaning around touch points (door knobs and handles) in the main areas of the hotel. We’ve appointed “cleaning champions” and implemented a deep cleaning process for bedrooms using the recommended hospital grade cleaning materials and an ozone fogging machine to clean the air in between stays.
We’ve all become more familiar with regular hand washing etc… our teams both front and back of house are all adhering to this before, during and after their shifts and there is lots of hand sanitiser available around the hotel for both our team and guests to use.
It’s worth noting that our teams have designated areas to change both before and after working.
In line with current government advice both hotel guests and team members are required to wear a face mask at the hotel (and spa) apart from when sat down dining.
- How are you ensuring social distancing in the restaurants and around the hotel?
The guest experience looks a little different but we hope we’ve made it simple and easy to follow:
We’ve limited our guest capacities, combined both restaurant spaces and introduced one-way flows where possible around the hotel and spa to ensure a more relaxed approach to social distancing.
We don’t want to appear stand-offish… but we will back away and adhere to social distancing gaps as close to 2m as possible… even though we may wish to give you a welcome hug when you arrive!
We’ll drop you an email before you arrive to get as much information on how you would like to relax during your stay with us to limit face to face interaction - we’ll ask all those things regarding the time you’re likely to arrive, allergies, newspapers etc… so many questions but it means we’ll have it all ready for you.
Check in - we’ve moved our reception to our beautiful barn which allows much more space when you arrive - one of our reception team will meet you and take you straight to your room.
In room - we won’t make a fuss and will just let you settle in - we’re always at the end of the phone if you need anything.
We’ve combined our 2 restaurants with one menu throughout to allow more space and reduced the capacity for non-residents.
- Maximum of 6 per table from a single household or support bubble
- Cashless payments only please
We will ask you to pre-book your preferred time for breakfast and this will be served across our 2 restaurants to enable a socially distanced yet relaxing start to the day. Hot food and buffet options can be selected from the menu and brought direct to the table.
We will allocate dining times pre-arrival to ensure we can space guests in accordance with social distancing. We will ask you to pour your own wine and water too but be on hand if you need anything.
We’ve tried to think of everything to keep everyone safe and comfortable so during your stay we will encourage guests to use their bedroom loo rather than the public loo… hope you understand.
Our children’s tea will be served at the table between 5-6pm and we ask parents to supervise their children to ensure social distancing is observed… highchairs and all tables and floors will be scrupulously scrubbed down between all services… naturally.
- Will my children be able to use the Playbarn?
The Playbarn & Mez, our Ofsted-registered crèche will be available to guests when we re-open - our normal hours of play are 9:00am - 1:00pm and 1:30pm - 5:30pm every day. The Playbarn is for our younger guests, with plenty of toys and arts and crafts equipment to keep them entertained… it’s a really fun environment for the little ones to enjoy while you take it in turns to have some time to yourselves. Since Covid 19 we do ask one grown up to stay with each child to ensure social distancing and to keep everyone safe and relaxed.
We have slightly reduced the capacity of children able to use The Playbarn at any one time to allow more space to have fun. The Playbarn can be booked for up to two hours every day, from 3.30pm on the day of arrival and until 12 noon on the day of departure. We encourage you to book your child in for some fun in The Playbarn prior to arrival as space is limited and we don’t want any little ones (or grownups) disappointed!
For the older children (aged eight and over), The Mez is an Aladdin’s cave of technology… with PlayStations, Wii consoles, Xboxes, computers. You don’t need to book to use the Mez, just head to The Playbarn to see if a console is free!
We also have a 12-seater cinema available to book for some family afternoon movie time with lots of crowd pleasing movies to choose from! This can be booked once you’ve checked in by giving the Playbarn team a call.
Babysitting service will not be available during this period. We hope you appreciate the need to stop this service for now.
- Can Families still use the pool?
We ask that you book your family splash time prior to your arrival
- How do I know the team looking after me are not ill?
We are nothing without our wonderful team and their well-being is our top priority. None of them are required to work if they have any symptoms, no matter how mild, and we check this each day. Each team member is required to check their temperature before starting work.
- Can I use the spa?
Absolutely...come and relax.. the below are some of the measures implemented after the first lockdown.
- We aren’t serving any food in the spa for the foreseeable future however a table can be booked in the hotel restaurants and The Barn area is serving tea/coffee and light refreshments.
- Our full treatment menu is available - we can send this to you when you book your stay. Latest government guidelines require clients to wear a face mask whilst receiving a treatment with the exception of facials. Our therapists will be wearing masks and must be completely well to be at work, so please understand if we have to make amendments to your bookings. Sadly, we won’t be able to give out testers for a while.
- To manage our capacities we are limiting spa usage to 11am for guests checking out (unless a spa treatment is booked later than 11am)
- We have a limit on use of the changing rooms and will ask you to change into your robe in your bedroom. Our spa members will be asked to change at home where possible - we will of course prioritise swimmers using the changing room facilities.
- We are restricting to a maximum 6 people in the pool.
- Aqua fit classes have designated social distancing markers laid out.
- The hot tub is open but only for up to 4 people at once and for a limited time to allow others to relax
- Our sauna and steam room will remain closed from 12th April but reopen hopefully from 17th May
- We’ve doubled the space for the gym and expanded into the studio with screens added between some of the gym equipment when needed. Once again capacity is limited to 5 clients using at a time.
- We have introduced a 6-piece Kompan outdoor gym for those who prefer to work out in the fresh air and everyone must be booked in to use this gym also.
- Anyone for tennis? Please use your own racket if possible and book your court in advance.
8. Can I freely use the grounds around the Hotel & Spa?
Yes, we want our guests to make the most of our 220 acres of wonderful meadowland – go explore and relish the wildlife and Cotswold fresh air! We have bikes available too if you’re feeling very active.